Saturday, December 15, 2012

Stupid Political Conversations, Part 2

When people give an argument and then do the equivalent of running away with their fingers in their ears:

Version 1: 
Person A: I think X.
Person B: Well you're wrong for these reasons, but that's just my opinion*.
Person A: I don't think your reasons make sense because of these other factors.
Person B: Hey, I can have my opinion.
Person A: That's true. I see now that because your opinion is an opinion, it can be totally illogical or based on false facts and I can't ask you to defend any of that because, as you mentioned, it's your opinion. As we all know, opinions are impervious to critique.

*Alternative versions:
"Just sayin'."
"We can agree to disagree."


Version 2:
Person A: I think X.
Person B: Well you're wrong for these reasons.
Person A: I don't think your reasons make sense because of these other factors.
Person B: I don't have time to argue about this. I have a life.
Person A: Well I guess I should count myself honored that you took time out from your life to start the argument in the first place. Thank you for gracing me with your presence and poor reasoning skills.



Version 3:

Person A: I think X.
Person B: Well you're wrong for these reasons. End of story*.
Person A: Oh, "end of story!" You've said the magical phrase that prevents anyone from disagreeing or continuing the conversation. I wish I'd thought of saying "end of story" before you--then I could've cleverly won the debate.

*Alternative Versions:
"Period."
"That's just all there is to it."

No comments:

Post a Comment