Sunday, November 25, 2012

Books for Daughters

Saw this on Pinterest:

Books for daughters that are about brave girls rather than just pretty princesses.

Apparently these are books that feature brave female protagonists, instead of princesses waiting to be saved. I don't know if I'd pick these books specifically, but I like the idea. 

People complain about parents "indoctrinating" their children, but from what I can tell the difference between indoctrinating your kids and teaching your kids is whether or not the observer agrees with your lessons.

I'm fine with "indoctrinating" my kids--I think my viewpoints are correct and morally right. (Obviously, else I wouldn't hold those views.) I do want my kids to learn to think critically and form their own opinions, but that doesn't mean I'll act as if I have no opinions of my own. I expect I'll try to raise my kids to hold the same views I do. Why wouldn't I?

1 comment:

  1. The Jesuits in my experience have a very good balance between teaching students to think critically and maintaining their moral values. I always knew where the Jesuits stood on issues, being Catholics and all, but I always felt like their number one goal was to get you to think about the issues rather than follow their judgment on the issue.

    Naturally, that approach is a little harder to take with your own children because it's only natural that you teach your children what you believe, but I have it in the back of my mind that I will want my children forming their own opinions from the solid first principles that I have provided them. Whether or not they agree with me is irrelevant so long as they can provide a good reason for their belief, which is largely the same standard I apply to all other human beings.

    "The task of the modern educator is not to cut down forests, but to irrigate deserts."
    -C.S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete